Holonic Systems plugins for VCV Rack and miRack
The Holonic Source module for VCV Rack integrates with the Holon.ist iOS app and outputs control signals to VCV Rack.
The receiving bus selector determines from which bus the module receives signals. This allows use of multiple instances of the module in a patch, providing up to 64 channels of control.
Activity LEDs for each channel indicate when Holonic Source receives OSC messages for the particular channel and receiving bus.
For the scaling of values.
Low Pass Filters
An adjustable slew is included to smooth signals as desired.
VCV rack expects values between 0v and +10v for unipolar and between -5v and +5v for bipolar signals.
Holonic Source clips signals to -10v, +10v.
Ensure that values are properly scaled in the Holon.ist scaling section.
OSC Communicationexpand section
mDNS/bonjour is used for autodiscovery.
- Holon.ist automatically detects VCV Rack when the Holonic Source plugin is loaded.
- Requires Bonjour SDK from Apple to be installed: https://developer.apple.com/bonjour/
- Check that the Bonjour Service is running.
- Run the script Holonic_Source_windows.bat. This script can be found in the plugin folder c:\Users\<you>\Documents\Rack\Plugins\HolonicSystems-Free\ The script publishes Holonic Source on the network to allow autodiscovery from Holon.ist app.
- The DOS window needs to remain open for the duration of the VCV session.
- Ensure Avahi is running.
- Run the script. Holonic_Source_linux.sh. This publishes Holonic Source on the network to allow autodiscovery./
- The shell window needs to remain open for the duration of the VCV session.
- Ensure that firewalls, such as Little Snitch, are not blocking communication. For instance, on MacOS, with Little Snitch firewall, incoming communication must be specifically enabled for Rack.
- If you cannot get autodiscovery to work for some reason, you can always manually create an OSC output in Holon.ist and input your computer IP and port 9000.
- Please read the Holon.ist manual
OSC Message Formatexpand section
The Holonic Source OSC message format is used to ensure close integration with our Holon.ist app. In order to use Holonic Source with any other OSC compatible application, please select port 9000.
The message OSC path is /<bus>/<channel>/<mode> where:
- /<bus> is one of a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h
- /<channel> is one of 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8
- /<mode> is one of cv for unipolar CV, cvbi for bipolar CV.
For instance `/a/2/cv` will address channel 2 of bus a in CV mode.
Argument value should be a float. Holonic Source accepts values in [-1,1] range or in [-10,10] range depending on the switch configuration in the GUI. When [-1,1] is selected, values will effectively be multiplied by 10.
Dumbwaiter is an addressable 8 step sequencer and switch. One could see it as the lower row of the Doepfer A-155 with a large helping of A-154 functionality.
Lazy Susan is a quad quantiser with user editable scales. For your convenience, your custom scales are saved with each patch. By default, the scales are the 7 standard modes: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian
Serving suggestion: The Doepfer A-156 Quantiser minor mode is a melodic minor scale (CmMaj7). Choose the Dorian scale and sharpen the 7th to harmonize with your Eurorack.
Pantry is a Dual CV/Gate Recorder/Looper.
- Dual Channel.
- CV and Gate Recording.
- Record: Full loop length recording via cv or button.
- Overdub: Overdub while CV/button is held.
- Pattern Length from 1 to 32 using CV.
- CV control of Pattern Shift
Swiss Cheese Knife
Swiss Cheese Knife is a fully featured quad utility module.
- Inverts input signal.
- Signal Attenuator.
- Sample and Hold
- Classic Sample and Hold.
- VCA with variable response shape, ranging from linear to exponential.
- Low Pass Filter
- Simple low pass filter.
- Slew Limiter
- Slew limiter with independently adjustable slope shape and Rise and Fall times.
- DC Offset Remover
- While in AC mode, any DC offset is removed.
- Signal offset.
- Swiss Cheese Knife can also mix four signals, as its outputs are normalled.
Gaps is a clock divider that supports multiple modes.
- Integers: 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
- Even : 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16
- Odd: 3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17
- Prime: 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19
- Binary: 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256
- Random: random probabilities 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 1/9
- 8 step clock Sequencer
Four modes are available:
- Gate: the output stays high until the next clock input trigger
- Gate2: the output stays high half of the time (50% duty cycle)
- Trig: the output outputs the standard trigger upon input trigger
- As is: the output remains high as long as the clock input is high
Additionally, Gaps can behave in two ways:
- Musical: triggers on the first clock
- Mathematical: if the divide ratio is say 3, it will trigger on the 3rd clock
A simple dual switch with two inputs and one output.
Two modes are available:
- Gate: the input A is used when input is low, input B is used otherwise
- Trig: upon trigger input the module flip flop between input A and B
We’ve created a number of patches and templates that can be used as starting points,
or just enjoyed, at:
You can use any of the included Holonist factory presets to control the patches.
Also, we've put together some VCV demo patches using the Holonic Source. They use the default mappings in the Holon.ist app.
Our demos are packaged with the plugins, they are located in:
Alternatively, you can download them directly from here :
The demo patches require the following VCV Rack plugins to be installed:
- Amalgamated Harmonics
- Audible Instruments
- Holonic Systems - Free
- JW Modules
- ML Modules
- Stellare Link
- Vult Modules - Free
Please check the following installation steps below to avoid common pitfalls, such as firewalls, and to ensure full functionality of the autodetection feature.
- Install the latest version of Holon.ist on your iOS device from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/app/holon-ist/id1359763686
- Install the latest version of VCV rack: https://vcvrack.com/
- Install the Holonic Systems plugin suite from the VCV Rack plugin manager: https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html#holonic Follow the instructions from our manual to establish communication between Holon.ist and Holonic Source.